- 1 1/3c. Garbanzo Flour
- 1 1/3c. Tapioca Flour
- 1c. Arrowroot Powder
- 3/4.c. Brown Rice Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. Xanthum Gum
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 2 TBLS. Sucanat (my favorite unrefined sugar but use anything granulated you like)
- 1 Packet of Yeast
- 1 1/2 c. Unsweetened Good Karma Flax Milk (or other favorite non dairy milk)
- 3TBLS. Coconut Oil (note for the whole recipe you will need about 1 1/2c.)
- 2 Flax Eggs (mix 2 TBLS. Flax Meal with 6 TBLS. Water, let sit 3 min)
- 3 medium sized apples, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 1/3c. Nuts….walnuts or pecans
- 2/3 c. Sucanat (is an unrefined granulated sugar, find it at the health food store or online)
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 3/4c. Coconut oil (for dipping only!)
3. Carmel Sauce Topping
- 1/2 c. Coconut oil
- 1/2 c. Sucanat
- 1/8 c. Flax Milk
- Make the filling: Combine the apple, walnuts, cinnamon and sugar; set aside.
- Dough: Warm the flax milk on the stove, but don’t let boil, turn off burner, in a bowl, put milk, sucanat and yeast. Let sit
- In a big mixing bowl (I use my kitchen aide mixer for this). Put flours, xanthum gum, and salt. Mix with hook attachment for 1 min
- Add wet ingredients to dry, add your yeast mixture, coconut oil and flax eggs. Let mix about 3 min till combined, It shouldn’t be too stiff
- Spray hands with cooking spray for the next steps, because the dough is sticky and it makes it easier to work with. Also spray the kitchen scissors. Take dough and cut in half, place one part aside. With other part cut into 16 pieces with a kitchen scissors, it will be about 2 TLBS. of dough.
- Pat or roll out each piece into a 2 ½ in. circle. Place 1 teaspoon apple mixture in center of circle; pinch edges together and seal, forming a ball. Lightly dip ball in remaining coconut oil. In a greased 10-in. tube pan, place 16 balls, seam side down; sprinkle with 1/4 cup apple mixture.
- Take the other dough and cut into 20 pieces. Layer the balls on top of the others in a zigzag pattern
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled about 1 Hour. I usually turn my oven onto low when I start to mix the dough and then shut it off. Then I put the pan with the balls in oven for rising, especially with gluten free baking, the yeast has A LOT harder time rising, so making sure it is really in a warm place is crucial!!
- Turn Oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle with remaining apple mixture. Bake for 40-50 min, making sure the inside balls are cooked all the way through. Flip out onto plate after cooled, you can loosed edges with a knife
- For Carmel Topping: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan (milk, sucanat, coconut oil); boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly pour over warm cake. This recipe is a little time consuming usually takes about 4 hours start to finish, less than half is hands on time. Serves about 12-16 people.