Huevos Racheros – Ranch Eggs is for those who enjoy the spice in life.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese, (as strong or as mild as you like)
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 6 medium tomatoes (Tinned plum tomatoes are fine).
- Chilli – how hot and how much is up to you. I suggest one whole jalapeno the first time – you cook this. You could also use chilli flakes – 1/2 teaspoon
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled.
- 4 tablespoons of chopped coriander or parsley
- 1 teaspoon of tomato ketchup, preferably a gluten free Herby Italian one
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped.
- Preheat the oven 400 F (200 C). Halve the tomatoes and place them, cut side up, in a roasting tin. Grill them for 10 minutes.
- In a dry non-stick pan char the pepper pieces and garlic, turning to cook evenly. When done place the pepper(s) in a plastic bag and let steam for a while and then deseed, peel and stem. Add this flesh to a food processor together with the garlic and the tomato halves. Whizz these together until smooth along with the coriander/ parsley and ketchup. Pour this mixture into a small pan and heat through.
- Each tortilla should be brushed with oil and baked for about 5 minutes. Then add the cheese, divided between them, and bake for a further 5 minutes. Keep warm.
- Fry the eggs using vegetable oil
- Place one tortilla on each plate, place an egg on top and then pour on some of the salsa.
Tips: Do take care when handling chilies. Preferably wear plastic gloves, but at least wash your hands after touching them and don’t touch your eyes or other delicate skin.