You do need floury potatoes for Potato Pancakes With Salmon, but it is well worth searching them out. You also preferably need ring moulds, although it is possible without.
- 1 pound cooked floury potatoes.
- 5 large spoons of crème fraiche, thick sour cream or Quark
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Fresh chopped chives
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 packet smoked salmon
- more crème fraiche to serve
- more chives as garnish
- Mash the potatoes, mixing in the crème fraiche, chives, seasoning and egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until fairly stiff and then fold them into the potato mix. It is this which gives the pancakes their lightness.
- Heat a non-stick pan with 2 tablespoons of butter and place 4 ring moulds into it if using Spoon about 4 tablespoons of the potato mixture into each mould or just make 4 heaps as neatly as you can. Cook until set and browned on bases, and then turn over to cook other sides for a further minute.
- Keep these warm and cook more pancakes.
- Serve the pancakes topped with more crème fraiche, crumpled up salmon slices and a sprinkling of chopped chives.
Tips: You could use dill instead of chives. For an absolute luxury – garnish with a few grains of caviar.